Many people will tell you that in order to stop snoring, you need to get to the root of the problem. Unfortunately, there are many different things that can cause us to snore which may include problems with their sinuses, allergens in the air around us, slight birth defects which block the airways while we sleep and even a problem with drinking too much alcohol before we go to sleep. One thing that almost always causes us to snore or irritates the situation if we are already snoring is if we are carrying around too much weight.
Why do you snore when you gain weight
Carrying around excess weight is the number one reason why people snore. When you gain weight, your neck get bigger and have excess tissue in the throat which block your breathing. When it’s difficult to breathe, it causes you to snore more.
In order to overcome your snoring problem, you should make sure that you lose at least 10% of your body weight. Of course, it would help if you kept a lean and trim figure but it is not always necessary for you to do so in order to stop snoring. Whenever we gain weight, our body tends to gain it in our neck and throat area. This will restrict our breathing at night and may actually make a problem that we already have much worse. If we just lose a little bit of this body fat, we will see a significant difference in the amount of noise that we are making while we are sleeping.
Of course, the easiest way for us to lose this weight is by going on a program of diet and exercise. The diet will help to cut down on some of the calories that we are eating on a daily basis and the exercise will not only help us in this area but it will also get us breathing deeper during the day which will help us fall asleep faster at night. It’s going to take a little bit of persistence on your part in order to see real results but after just losing a little bit of weight, your sleep will begin to silence itself to a certain extent.
All of us burn calories for fuel and if we are taking in enough calories during the day, that is what our body is going to use in order to get the energy that it needs. If we reduce our calorie intake with our diet or increase our calorie burn through exercise, we will end up with a calorie deficit at the end of the day. This is truly one of the only ways for you to lose weight safely and permanently. It may take a couple of weeks for you to notice a difference but once you begin losing the weight consistently, the snoring will begin to get better as well. However, if the snoring is in advance stage, it may need a little more than losing weight. You will need to practice 3 minute breathing exercise designed to help snorer expand the airways in your throat.
What sleeping position reduces snoring?
Try sleeping on your side or even on your stomach in order to reduce your snoring considerably. This is because side sleeping position helps clear your airways and reduce snoring volume.
The way and position that you sleep is also going to make a large difference in the amount of snoring that you do. If you fall asleep on your back, you are shooting yourself in the foot, so to speak with your snoring habits. Since we often snore because our air passages are blocked, sleeping on our back can naturally block them further.
How can I lose weight by sleeping?
Here is top 10 tips on how to lose weight by having a good night sleep.
- Do 30 minutes Exercises that aim to regulate sleep hormones during the day. just a few minutes of exercise can make an amazing difference in the way that you feel and how you can fall asleep fast. Even a 5 minute walk after your meals is going to make a surprising difference in this regard.
- Establish Sleep Cycle routine– Some people have this habit of sleeping and getting up at random times but you should adopt and practice regular sleep cycle. This will take some time to adjust but once you try to sleep and wake up at fixed time then, the internal clock of your body will adjust itself to that time and will become sleepy at certain times.
- Drink the calming tea 40 min before bed
- Relax your heart and mind before sleep– Not only can meditation help you to improve your overall general health, it also is a great stress reliever and stress can be one of the triggers which really causes the insomnia to come to the front. If you are able to effectively meditate, you can often change your overall pattern of thinking and help yourself to avoid the symptoms as a result of avoiding the stress that may have been bothering you before. It seems like such a small thing to do, but if you do it regularly, it will be able to benefit you now and for many years to come.
- Sleep in cool temperature (20 degrees Celsius)- with our body temperature of 37 degrees Celsius, Scientists study shows that we fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer when our body temperature drops. Sleeping in the cold also helps reduce stress hormone and burns calories.
- Eat small but frequent – eating mini meal all day long helps efficient metabolism and stabilise blood sugar.
- Avoid Alcohol and Caffeine – Most people think that drinking alcohol is comparable to a sedative, but actually it may put you to sleep for a few hours only to wake you up in an alarming state. Alcohol insomnia will then make you restless throughout the remainder of the night. A nightcap before bed will have the same effect; however, you may have a quick nap and then a fitful sleep throughout the rest of the night.
- Sleep in right Environment; Proper Light, Sound, Mattress – You need to make sure that your bedroom is appealing enough to attract your attention and get you to sleep. This can be done easily by selecting an appropriate mattress and bed for your needs. You need to check different kinds of mattresses and then, select the one which suits you perfectly and gives you maximum relief.
- Kill Electronics device in bedroom – You need to make sure that your bed is just for sleeping because I have seen people who use their bed for reading, watching TV and other activities but this should be avoided and you need to make sure that your bed is just for sleeping and even if you use your bed for reading then, read only pleasure books which can help you o get some sleep.
- Follow the Sleep & Diet expert– Dan Garner and Todd Lamb designed Sleep and lose weight program to eliminate sleep problems and unleash body’s full potential in burning fat with Sequential Shutdown Method(SSM). Dan is a Nutrition Coach and Lab Analyst at New Wave Fitness. Also the Best-Selling Author. He has over 12 top certifications in nutrition from reputable institutions. Find out more